Deloitte has a network of approximately 650 partners and professionals in the Americas region—with offices in approximately 240 locations through a network of member firms—specialized in local indirect taxes and global trade advisory in all major markets in the region. The indirect tax services Deloitte provides in the Americas region include indirect tax and global trade compliance, advisory and technology services. Deloitte in the Americas advises Fortune 500 companies to help enhance their indirect tax position in the Americas region. The ability of Deloitte Tax to work with Deloitte's Consulting and Advisory practices in the region enables us to help clients navigate through the tax implications of their broad business challenges with confidence.
Deloitte in the Americas region is helping clients operating in the region enhance their indirect tax processes and procedures, and establish compliance and reporting systems. Deloitte in the Americas is helping clients thrive in a world of trade disruption and are working with them to assess their tax teams, current processes, and technologies to respond to the changing demands of e-filing, e-invoicing, and e-audits in the region, as local tax authorities continue to leverage technology in their collection and administrative efforts.
The network of member firms in the Americas region allows Deloitte the right local and regional indirect tax teams to be deployed quickly and efficiently, as needed. Drawing on the capabilities and strengths of Deloitte's global practice of more than 2,700 indirect tax professionals—along with Deloitte's other businesses—indirect tax professionals across the Americas region deliver broad-scale tax-aligned business solutions.
Deloitte's key differentiators in the Americas are a cross-border central governance model and a network of virtual and physical centers of excellence (COEs). These COEs are aligned with global technology platforms, offering the broadest scope of integrated indirect tax compliance, consulting, and automation services. This approach allows Deloitte to provide value for clients in any part of the region in a cost efficient and effective way.
Ongoing legislative developments result in constantly changing and new business requirements, driving the growth of indirect tax across the region. Increasing volume and complexity of requirements, combined with the need for near-time/real-time reporting and e-invoicing, are the biggest tax challenges companies face in the region. Considering that countries are continuously seeking to enhance and expand in this regard as well as in their use of technology, the need for indirect tax services in the region will only continue to increase.
In anticipation, Deloitte Tax has been, and is continuing, to invest heavily in tax technology and analytics capabilities for the region. Examples in this respect are Global Trade Radar and Global VAT/GST Radar, both examples of regional analytics tools and Indirect Tax SMART for indirect tax compliance. Deloitte in the Americas region is working with clients on innovative solutions to transform their indirect tax organization, leveraging the latest new technologies. For instance, Robotic Process Automation (RPA) and block-chain are used for process improvement, governance and Artificial Intelligence, and cognitive technology is used for customs tariff classification and indirect tax court case analysis.
Furthermore, Deloitte Tax is aligned with the broader organization's global technology platforms, such as Deloitte's proprietary tool, myInsight, putting Deloitte in the Americas in a position to offer integrated technology solutions that cut across multiple disciplines, catering to clients' overall business challenges rather than just their tax challenges.
Deloitte's strength as an organization—aligning tax capabilities with technology and business transformation capabilities in Deloitte's Consulting practice—results in deep knowledge of new and upcoming technologies and how they can be beneficial to tax. As an integrated service provider, Deloitte has a key position in this space due to its combination of capabilities, whether it be information technology consultants, business consultants, tax consultants, or any other type of consultant.
Key service offerings include:
- Indirect Tax advisory including Value Added Tax (VAT) and Goods and Services Tax (GST) as well as other transaction-based taxes
- Indirect Tax compliance and reporting
- Indirect Tax automation
- Global Trade Advisory (GTA)
- Three-year indirect tax compliance and advisory engagement focused on actual compliance as well as use of technology solutions aimed at process efficiencies and improvement for a social media company involving collaboration across Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, and Mexico
- Two-year project for SAP global trade services across Canada and the US for a global manufacturer and distributor of chemical products
- Supporting a SAP implementation with regional requirements for indirect taxes, involving services across Canada, Costa Rica, Mexico, Panama, and the US for a global information technology company
- VAT compliance for a pharmaceutical company with collaboration across Argentina, Brazil, and the US
- Strategic indirect tax review focused on identifying needs process and technology improvements as well as possible indirect tax risk across the region for a global technology company
More than 160 Indirect Tax professionals across the Deloitte network—including 23 within the Americas region—were recognized for their individual abilities, as well as their in-depth capabilities, experience, and specialist knowledge of Deloitte's network collectively in the International Tax Review (ITR) Indirect Tax Leaders Guide 2017.
2017 ITR Americas Tax & World Tax Awards
- Regional Awards: Americas Tax Innovator Award (second consecutive year), Americas Tax Compliance & Reporting Firm of the Year (third consecutive year)
- National Tax Firms of the Year: Deloitte Mexico and Deloitte Venezuela
- World Tax: 6 countries awarded tier 1 (Argentina, Brazil, Colombia) or tier 2 ratings (Chile, Mexico, Uruguay)
- Ronnie Dassen, Americas Indirect Tax Leader, Deloitte Global
- David Raistrick, Deloitte Global Indirect Tax Leader
- Fernand Rutten, Deloitte Global Trade Advisory Leader
- Rogier Vanhorick, Deloitte Global Indirect Tax Digital Leader
- Olivier Hody, Deloitte Global Indirect Tax Clients & Industries Leader
- Michele McGuire, Americas Global Trade Advisory COE Leader & Global Delivery Center Leader
- Kristine Dozier, US Global Trade Advisory Practice Leader
This document has been prepared solely for the purpose of publishing in the 2018 Indirect Tax Leaders guide and may not be used for any other purpose. This document and its contents may not be reproduced, redistributed or passed on, directly or indirectly, to any other person in whole or in part without Deloitte's prior written consent.
Deloitte refers to one or more of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited ("DTTL"), its global network of member firms, and their related entities. DTTL (also referred to as "Deloitte Global") and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL does not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more.
Deloitte is a leading global provider of audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, tax and related services. Our network of member firms in more than 150 countries and territories serves four out of five Fortune Global 500® companies. Learn how Deloitte's approximately 264,000 people make an impact that matters at www.deloitte.com.
This communication contains general information only, and none of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, its member firms or their related entities (collectively, the "Deloitte network") is, by means of this communication, rendering professional advice or services. Before making any decision or taking any action that may affect your finances or your business, you should consult a qualified professional adviser. No entity in the Deloitte network shall be responsible for any loss whatsoever sustained by any person who relies on this communication.
© 2018. For information, contact Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited.
© 2021 Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC. For help please see our FAQ.